2007-10-05

I suppose eventually someone will fill me in on Gov TV

The first ever Government-produced station in the world to be available only by CABLE was launched last Sunday night. Every other blog in Bermuda has already commented on how useful the station would be but I'm trying to stay somewhat pragmatic about it.

All that I know is that there's a somewhat disappointing-looking website (splash screen? who does that anymore? unless you're an artist's website maybe) with very little actual useful material, and a programming guide of sorts. Apparently programming will be 'fresh' on a weekly basis. Oh yeah, and only between 7:30 and 11 am, then it's all repeats. Sigh.

I think it's going to take a very long time for me to see any kind of tangible benefits to this expensive project. I mean, Government could easily produce programming, buy airtime on Bermuda Broadcasting or VSB during their off-time (Sunday mornings and Saturday afternoons tend to be very available) and still air their 'untouched' presentations if they want. Oh well.

Maybe students will get opportunities to apprentice at the station and learn some skills in mass media or something. That's the best I can see at this moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah... maybe ZBM TV can send over their sound guy for an apprenticeship.