2006-02-01

Coretta Scott King

Of course the big thing that I forgot to mention, and it's amazing considering that I actually alerted my friends of this yesterday morning, was the passing of Coretta Scott King, a remarkable woman and civil rights pioneer, a true role model for people everywhere.

What dampens things a bit is that I realized that I knew about Coretta Scott King's work and how valuable she is, but what about the Bermudian equivalents? I have close if not zero knowledge of this. I suppose I can blame myself for not pursuing local history in the past; however Bermuda history if I recall was barely skimmed over at primary school and untouched at all for the three years I did history at high school.

It's almost laughable if it wasn't that sad. I know more about recent Barbadian history in 5 years of study and living in Barbados, than I do in the remaining 20+ years that I've lived, studied and worked in Bermuda.

No comments: