2007-01-12

Talk about housing

Oh, Sir John. A former Premier appears to think that Government will be unwise if they implement policies to help the average person buy a house. I suppose it's admirable that he's defending free market and current property owners, but it sure looks like he's telling the rest of us to just suck it up and deal with it and scheme ways (e.g. deal drugs!) to afford such dwellings.

I do agree, home owners shouldn't sell themselves short when it comes to their own property, and should get whatever price they can (it's why I'm sort of okay with the owners of the Southlands property being able to sell to that hotel group if they get an offer). However, Government has an obligation to provide solutions to the lower-income brackets. We have people living in old cars on the beach or squatting in abandoned hotels for goodness sake!

Anyway, it's hard to side with a businessman who's in the job of providing high-rent apartments to the more wealthy instead of some lower-cost apartments to help the common man and woman.

Also of note this morning: damn, the popular Bermuda bloggers are old, heh. And now the question that goes through my head is, should I feel an obligation to become more prominent (i.e. buff up this site and market it more) on behalf of the non-whites in this country? Mind you guys like Denis Pitcher also blog and are way more public-minded than I've ever been, so I hope people recognize that the face of blogging in Bermuda isn't necessarily white 30-something males.

2 comments:

Phil said...

"Old"?! I'm only 34, you know! That's young, I tell you, young! ;)

Tryangle said...

Trust me, I just hit my 30s myself... we're all old now, heh.