2006-12-30

End of Saddam Hussein

They went ahead and executed the former Iraqi president this morning. It's probably the most significant news story of the year, and the ramifications of this are bound to be felt for quite a few years. How will the citizens of the country react? And what about Saddam's former allies and countries that oppose the U.S. and Britain?

In something closer to home, I was reading the Nation online and came across a thought-provoking letter from a David Gittens who proposed a permanent change in local time for Barbados. With daylight starting at around 5 each morning and ending around 5:30/6 in the evening I would be in favour of moving clocks ahead an hour, a move that would save a lot of money in terms of electricity bills. Of course there are potential issues with not being in sync with other Eastern Caribbean nations, and it does nothing to change the fact that in the spring and summer while North America and Europe push their clocks ahead an hour and Barbadians would still need to adjust in terms of travel and financial trading. But I'd like to see that issue debated.

Oh, and I just saw this after I posted, but yep, I have to update yesterday's (29th) post as someone else just died on the roads. While I don't know for certain, I think that puts Bermuda at 13 for the year. Barbados, I think, is currently at 14. And to think that Bermuda has better roads, better serviced vehicles on average and a far smaller population. Sad.

No comments: