2006-06-20

Finally, paycheck's arrived

As the official start of summer begins (what's that called, the Solstice, right?), it's obvious it's going to be another scorcher here. And unfortunately I still have no a/c unit for my bedroom. I should find some time and see what's available, even if I have to buy a mini-fridge and leave it in my room with the door open all day.

Speaking of buying,... boy I need to get paid. Been struggling the past couple weeks due to bills, family emergencies and other things which have drained me. And even though I have a credit card now and am within my credit limit, I'm still very reluctant to use it. I mean, the last few months I have spent more than I have made and that's a terrible trend that I personally need to quit immediately.

That said, there are a few things that I would like to get for myself, once the check comes in and I pay off the bills. Nothing is a need, although many Bermudians would say otherwise. Of course, I'm "slumming it" by having no cable TV and no DSL Internet connection. Anyway.

I'd like to get a new bike helmet. It's old, banged-up and the interior lining is flaking off. That's high on my wish list. I managed to buy a new pair of trousers for the office the other day, but I'd like to have at least one more pair. I think I need a couple of new shirts and ties as well. Selection is fairly small in Bermuda and I may be forced to shop online for those things. One of the obstacles of course is me not liking clothes-shopping for myself. I was looking at swim-gear and didn't feel like buying anything available when I was purchasing the trousers.

But anyway I hope to be able to get back in the black, actually save more than I'm forced to spend, divert some funds to hopefully what will become an investment in a future house in Barbados and simply not feel that my savings are circling slowly down the drain.

Question: Why are Americans so insistent on calling a football drawn match a tie? I know it's technically correct but it comes across as unenlightened. Balls are passed down the flanks, not sides, and go into touch, not out of bounds. Would be nice to see the correct terminology applied, but thank goodness our local World Cup feeds are coming out of Europe and not through ESPN.

No comments: