2007-09-12

Cell phone ban a non-starter

Some time ago it was raised for discussion the implementation of a ban on cell phone usage while driving on Bermuda's roads. While I'm not sure if the discussion ever reached Parliament, I'm quite convinced that it's a non-starter even if Police have records indicating that several traffic collisions were partly as a result of cell phone usage.

Here's why: some Government ministers do it and do it for an extended period. Today I was behind a GP car (for once I'm protecting the guilty) and saw the minister driving one-handed with phone cocked up to the ear. Why don't people get hands-free devices anyway? In any event, that lasted at least 5 minutes before I turned off.

So if you're looking to improve road safety, you're better off pushing for the forgotten speed camera thing...

No comments: