2007-04-26

Gay agenda?

For some reason the whole situation concerning the cruise for R Family Vacations being set up, protested by local churches and then cancelled, has fascinated me and I've probably blogged as much about this as any issue not involving crazy Bermuda drivers.

Now Rosie O'Donnell apparently spoke about it on her TV show the other day. But even before then, I got into an interesting discussion with a friend who I'd describe as recovering Christian (apologies if this is a misnomer) and she laid out some strong feelings on why she was against the cruise coming here as well as the bill to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation which was raised last year but defeated without even a vote upon it. I'm probably going to hash it out when I'm back in Bermuda but I have a feeling that this is going to end up as something where the wisdom of Solomon could be required.

PrimeTarget mentioned something about all the publicity being part of an 'agenda' of sorts, which I really couldn't understand upon first reading. What kind of agenda? Pushing Bermuda to legalise the bill mentioned? And if so, was it the print media that was pushing it?

I think that maybe that's what the PrimeTarget staff are alluding to, or at least something to make the island more of a secular society and reduce the influence of the church. Again, more research may be required if this is indeed the case. But this story surely is going to hover around for at least a little while longer, I think.

No comments: