2007-04-16

Death to apostrophes

The Gazette does it all the time. The Bermuda Sun is another victim. Local blogs, including some of my favourite sites, feature them as well.

It's not a purely local phenomenon, but it seems to run rampant in this island everywhere from the newspapers to billboards, flyers and other published materials.

Yes, I speak of the terror that is indeed the apostrophe, namely apostrophe-S.

Oh, and I'm actually serious, this isn't a spoof or satire or anything. I really hate the poor use of "it's" when "its" is called for, or when "your" is used instead of "you're". Seriously, what the hell is wrong with editorial staff of our daily newspapers? Is it one of those MS Word allows it, so it must be okay, kind of things? Come on, Bermuda! Let's set a proper example for our kids already!

1 comment:

MS CUTE PANTS said...

I still remember the double take I did when I came across the first spelling error in the Gazette. The first of many. Needless to say I was not impressed. For if the paper cannot & does not get it right, there is no hope for the rest of us.