2005-02-23

Should I feel offended?

Firstly, my first Booking since my return. Blue hatchback, licence 04500, didn't even bother to use a turn signal before turning onto Frog Lane, even though I was right behind them. Arrgh.

I work in the I.T. field at the Bank, so it's definitely not glamorous, and wearing the shirt-and-tie combo doesn't take anything away from it. I was in a brief meeting with one of the guys from Risk Management and on finishing up I was walking to the exit doors when I heard someone shout "oy oy oy oy". I turned and saw some man who was on the phone, he was motioning towards me, and then asked me if I was looking at some computer somewhere on the floor (I don't have an id tag that says "I work on PCs", mind you so the assumption that I was an I.T. grunt instead of some executive was odd in retrospect). I shook my head no then moved on. I then heard a woman (actually my friend Tasha who works on that floor) call out to him "oy oy oy that's not the way you should speak to someone,"and it got me thinking. She was absolutely right. It was rude and offensive and I didn't recognize it.

So I now wonder if I'm conditioned to expect to be called in that kind of fashion without question. I also wonder if there was something racially-motivated behind that, as if because I was a black guy I could only be a technical guy and not some executive officer, etc. Mind you, the guy on the phone was black as well, but still. One thing's for sure, I should not be expected to respond to a call of "oy oy oy" from a stranger. It was disrespectful. Maybe if I had my wits about me and was more of a confrotational person by nature I'd have challenged that remark.

No comments: