2008-02-29

How does harness pony racing survive here?

In Bermuda we don't have any thoroughbred racing of course (cue small island jokes), but there's a small track where they have harness pony racing every weekend or other weekend or so. You even see some ponies on the roads, seemingly training (now, I'm not sure if they're allowed to at night-time, which I see all the time, but that's another story).

I'm curious to know how the sport thrives in this island? I can't imagine it being a well-patronized sport here, and I know that owning horses and equipment isn't an inexpensive business. Similarly I don't think that corporate sponsorship is present here, and as far as I know there's no legitimate gambling on the races to generate funds. I'm pretty curious to know how they do it.

No comments: