2006-12-11

Watch out! Tidal Wave!

I meant to recap my time in Barbados with my first post after returning, then wanted to mention my stupid actions at the gas pump on Friday, but I think I have a better tale to tell.

Tsunami! Run for your lives! Somehow word got out that large waves were seen breaking off the reefs and that led to rumours that a giant wave was going to crash into Bermuda spreading across the phone lines. And eventually the information presented to law enforcement was not authenticated in any way, and the result was a haphazard evacuation process that was not communicated to the public by radio or TV or even a truck with a megahorn giving any warnings.

What does it mean? Firstly that Bermudians are gullible and don't like to confirm things. No wonder scam artists thrive here. Look for us to be further embarrassed in the global arena once word gets around.

No comments: