2006-10-28

New Premier beckons

I don't comment on political issues often, usually because I'm either dissatisfied, uninterested or purposely oblivious to the goings-on.

ZBM reporter Mike Sharpe cornered me yesterday afternoon to ask me who would be the next PLP leader, the incumbent Alex Scott or challenger Ewart Brown. Personally I was hoping the question would be about sports but no such luck. Anyway, I stumbled to say that Dr. Brown would get the post, but offered no reason except to say it's time for a change.

When I got back to my desk, I thought a bit deeper about it. I think that it is indeed in the best interests of the PLP to change leaders because the present administration has been seen as ineffectual and for that political party to win over the votes of the many undecided people, it needed to present a leadership with a different look about it. A general election will be due within the next two years, and it will be interesting to see how things turn out.

As it is, Dr. Brown indeed won the leadership of the party, and is now slated to be the next Premier of Bermuda. Politics.bm has provided news on how the voting shook out.

No comments: