2005-09-06

Tropical activity

I've yet to really comment on the devestation of Hurricane Katrina. News of it is everywhere - the massive flooding, the possibly thousands of lives lost, the anger at people that the federal government has been so slow in providing aid, the questions of race being a factor in the rush to assist,...

It's absolutely crazy. For such a catastrophe to take place in the world's richest and powerful nation and for there to be such a delay in providing assistance, makes you wonder about things. I know that I would be driven insane by the situation if I was caught up in the chaos of no power, water, food, dodging looters, in sweltering heat and humidity. My thoughts are with the folks in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

The post-Katrina situation has weighed a bit more heavy on my mind today as I see that Tropical Storm Nate is hovering in the Atlantic and projected to come within a couple of miles (single digits!) of Bermuda sometime Friday morning. How would Bermuda cope with a Cat 4 storm if Nate got to a Katrina level? Our building codes are of course very stringent and our houses (if you can afford them, heh) designed to withstand hurricanes. We wouldn't likely suffer flooding and our reefs would help against any storm surge. Tornados could be an unavoidable problem, however.

Hurricane Fabian (a strong Cat 3) whacked us pretty well not too long ago - direct hit - also resulting in four local deaths. But I'm still concerned, the next one could do even more damage.

Who was the smart guy who decided that the term "www" needed a shorthand version? I heard a TV commercial where the woman promoted a site as "triple w dot whatever". I think it's pretty bad when people have to invent net lingo for something as simple as "www". But I don't hate it as much as the announcers who forget how many letters they use... "double you double you dot whatever" - Somebody proofread his typecopy already! It's Three Double-Yous! Okay, let me get off this rant.

And one more rant before I'm done. I saw the reappearance of the "Gourmet Pizza's" sign and figured that I need to get that on camera or something. Even if I have to buy a disposable and scan the image. Just to give my gallery something new to gawk at. Or provide you with impetus to say "that guy needs a life instead of snapping pix of tacky signs".

No comments: