2005-03-21

Web standards

The key to getting something to work in HTML and CSS is to ensure it meets the W3C standards. Because I'm stuck with IE at work, whenever I modify code, I can only test it in that application, and it's notorious for its non-compliance with the standards. So when I get home and see how it looks in a compliant browser such as Firefox, things are all out of wack.

By ensuring that your HTML and CSS code validates - in this case, I had to test my CSS pages in the W3C Validator, which immediately threw in my face tons of error notes that were easily fixable - you're almost guaranteed good working code that will be acceptable in most modern web browsers. And it also spared me a big headache.

[/end web geek talk]

What does this mean? For starters, I've now gotten my home page to appear more like how I envisioned it, although the code isn't as clean as it could be. Having my latest Whappenings bit on the home page is very nice, and seems to avoid the occasional "not available" messages I got from my old third-party app. I've also added a weather piece to the home page for all those wondering how things are in Bermuda and in Barbados.

What's next? A new contact form to replace my old mailto link so as to defy the spambots, is high on my list. I have a new Tsehay poem to add to the Poetry Corner. There's also other things that are in store, so stick around.

And finally, this story, absolutely funny. Sars from TwoP discusses that intelligent vacuum Roomba in this crazy piece right here.

No comments: